Saturday, February 28, 2009

In the Hospital

We had another truly miserable 9 hrs in an ER holding tank. Got admitted about 1 am. His kidneys and labs are good. We just did a CT of his legs and the wheelchair ride downstairs is indescribably painful for him. He is more motion sick than a new sailor. We are waiting for a consult from neuro and pain and calming meds.

The partial lab work we have received from Dr. Shoemaker includes a marker called MMP9. A normal level is 85 to 335. Coleman's is 1343. Normally children won't show a high MMP9 so for his to be through the roof is a red flag. He also has an unusually low MSH. Together these allow more than 90 percent certainty of toxic illness with Coleman being the probable poster child.

This hospital is not a facility equipped to handle this illness and they have made that clear. Now that we know his organs are good we hope to be at home with pain meds and continue the toxin binding meds until the rest of the labs are in. More than likely there are other specific meds that will allow the binding meds to work more effectively. If this is the case we'll deal with the illness one step at a time...literally.

I am not able to explain the physical and emotional state coleman is in, especially after one more screwed up visit to a hospital. What he feels and the anxiety he tries to manage consistently breaks him. He has experienced pain and loss that no child should have to and perhaps most gripping to me is his loss of innocence and trust. May I say that this child is a hero in every brave sense of the word. He needs to believe in himself again.

Several have asked about Spen. He has nearly two weeks of consistent binding meds in him. We can't say he is miracously well but there are some good signs. He has lost weight and his stomach seems to be his biggest battle. He's in good spirits and gets out frequently for a diversion. He wants to be with us and is helpful to his brother. At times it is hard for him to understand how Coleman reacts to things but the Coxs stick together through thick and thin. He has complained of knee pain which we are watching carefully because that's how the leg issues started with his brother. He is trying to keep up with his school work but he has lost a lot of his attention span. My mom, God love her, is home schooling him and working up a motivational system for him. When all of Coleman's labs are in we will then determine when Spen needs to do the same full work up in Maryland.

Again I am reminded,
Do your best
Prepare for the worst
And trust God for the victory.

After so many hospital runs one thing is clear, if your illness doesn't show up in regular labs or fit in a prescribed box, so many docs just don't know what to do. Its truly an injustice to see a child in so much misery surrounded by white coats who are at a loss.

Sorry to wax on so long but I'm sitting in a hospital room with a numb countenance for my son and a numb backside. Thanks for continuing to pray.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

8 comments:

  1. Melanie,
    Thanks for updating us so well. And praise God his kidneys are okay..I hit the floor hard on that one! (on my knees) We Boswells are praying for all the Coxes. Please let us know what we can do. I don't cook, but I can shop for groceries! Or lattes...whatever you need. Love you, Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there -- I'm someone who heard about your story from Ali on an internet board(my handle is "Byrd".) I have access to medical libraries and info, if it's needed, and I'm willing to help with any research (I can read "medical" -- but I'm not a doctor, nurse, or health care worker.)

    I feel so sorry for him that his spirits are so low. Do you think he might enjoy listening to the Harry Potter books on MP3?

    And thanks for the update on Spen. Poor guy... this must be horribly stressful for him. I'm glad you have your mom there to help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more comment -- US News and World report (current) about best Children's hospitals in the US:
    http://www.usnews.com/directories/hospitals/index_html/specialty+IHQPEDS/state+/page_number+1/page_size+10/sort+/name+/metro_area+/zip+/distance+/detail+less

    (in case that isn't visible for you, here's the alphabetic list. My personal choice would be a teaching hospital associated with a university because sometimes they're open to a wider understanding of a symptom. This isn't the WHOLE list; just the ones I thought were close enough):

    Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
    Philadelphia , PA

    Children's Hospital Boston
    Boston , MA

    Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center
    Cincinnati , OH


    Johns Hopkins Children's Center, Baltimore
    Baltimore , MD


    Rainbow Babies and Children's Hospital, Cleveland
    Cleveland , OH

    Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC
    Pittsburgh , PA

    New York-Presbyterian Medical Center
    New York , NY


    Children's National Medical Center, Washington, D.C.
    Washington , DC

    Children's Hospital Cleveland Clinic
    Cleveland , OH

    Nationwide Children's Hospital, Columbus, Ohio
    Columbus

    St. Louis Children's Hospital
    Saint Louis , MO


    Children's Healthcare of Atlanta
    Atlanta , GA

    Massachusetts General Hospital for Children, Boston
    Boston , MA

    Duke Children's Hospital and Health Center, Durham, N.C.
    Durham , NC

    Children's Hospital at Montefiore, New York
    Bronx , NY

    Schneider Children's Hospital, North Shore-LIJ Health System, New Hyde Park, N.Y.
    New Hyde Park , NY



    (disclaimer: I live in Texas, and everything looks "close" when you live in the middle of nowhere)

    -- Byrd

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will continue to pray for you and yours, Mel! ~Love, Janice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, you don't know me but I am very emotionally vested in your story as Ali has updated us on everything you and your family are going through. Please don't feel this as a violation but rather she is reaching out for help in any way and the more that know there may be just that one person who can help. My handle name is Dday, real name Dawn and I am here in Minnesota with one of the best hospitals around the Mayo clinic. I personally don't know anyone there but I would like to try and make contact with someone who can help. It's all I can try and do but know I pray for your son daily.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mel, I just don't know what to say. I haven't seen you guys since the Cosby football game last year and your kids were the picture of health. Sissy mentioned to me during one of her updates about Pam that Coleman wasn't doing well and she would forward one of your updates to me. I just spent the last hour reading and re-reading all of your entries and am in shock! Not at your entires (you have always been methodical, organized, and yes a touch anal!!! haha) As I read this I tried to imagine what it would be like as a parent, grandparent, or sibling in this situation...I am at a complete loss!! I wish I could find that business card I wrote your phone number on as we were driving down 360 a few months ago so I could at least call you and let you know I am here for you whatever you need. p.s. we won't tell Coleman how unsafe his mother was driving in traffic, talking on the cell phone, and yelling at an old friend all at the same time!!! haha Please call me when you have a minute or two to visit and catch up and let me know what I can do to make any of this easier for any of you guys! My prayers and thoughts are with you all daily. Tammy Pack
    804-641-0473 cell, 804-232-1266 work, tpack@richmondcold.com. Love, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mel & Jeff: Andy and I have heard the recent udpates on Coleman through my mom and she led us to this blog. We are so sorry he is still so sick. As a parent, I can't imagine having to go through this. My heart goes out to you all and we'll be praying for Coleman and all of you as you face this together. When we saw you & the boys last at Costco it seemed like he was getting better (and Spencer, too). Please let us know if we can do anything at all to help you out. Our email is ajrbollinger@aol.com and Andy's cell is 641-2594. We'll be praying for you guys and keeping track of any progress on this blog. Or call us anytime. Hope and pray they can find piece to solve this mystery and make him well!

    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mel and Jeff, I am so sorry to hear of your recent events with Coleman. I am hear if you need any additional help or guidance. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. I have put a link to your blog on my blog at http://toxicmoldexposure.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2008-06-25T16%3A14%3A00-04%3A00&max-results=1 under stories of mold victims on the right side of my blog as well. I will also be putting something on my website for you at http://www.moldenvironment.com if I have your permission. I will have to take some excerpts from your story on your blog to do so as well as some pictures from your blog. Please let me know if I have your permission to post this on my website's main page. I feel through all of our stories we will spread the awareness and knowledge of what happens to many of us from exposure. Best regards, Darlene

    ReplyDelete