Friday, May 29, 2009

Thankful

I've been offline a couple of days - I'm working this week and it makes me realize just how much work it takes leading the boys down the path back to good health. We are changing up the protocol on Coleman a bit and that alone requires careful attention to every detail. I know I've said before what a slow process this is, but honestly, I'm reminded of it every day. Sometimes it's two steps forward...

I am looking forward to next week when we'll take yet another step and look for some more positive movement. Coleman is swimming and loving it so much. There are moments in the pool when he seems so much like the Coleman before all this happened. He gets tired more quickly, but so enjoys the water. It's a real work out for him and he falls asleep more easily at night as a result. He has been eating a lot this week, enough that it makes me ask him, "you want what?". He is growing at a rate I can't even believe. Becky, his PT commented this week that she has seen him grow in the short time she has known him.

Spencer has become a flurry again. When he was young I called him the Wildcat or Homewrecker and in the last week, he seems to be re-earning that title. Into to so much, full of energy, drawing every day again, more school subjects, play dates and riding the four-wheeler with his grandfather. He is still detoxing and rashes still, which is actually a good sign, but also a sign that his immune system is still under reconstruction. He continues his daily regimen of meds and is doing so well. Coleman isn't the only one growing around here...

All in all, we are moving in the right direction and so thankful for how far we have come. Coleman and I list something to be thankful for each day and some days it's hard for him and then he'll come up with something as simple as a cheeseburger and then it's the downhill thankful train after that.

Be thankful, even in this.

1 comment:

  1. Great to see the wonderful progress reports Mel. Love this news - so happy for you all. We'll keep sending the great wishes your way.

    ReplyDelete