Friday, June 5, 2009

Great Expectations

Happy to be back on line with an update. For all of Coleman's physical progress, there are some cognitive issues that are commanding most of our attention. For more than a couple of months we have been suspicious of bacterial infections that would require traditional meds, but Coleman was not in the shape to handle them. I've been communicating with several doctors, including three today and we are all in good agreement to give these meds a try.

This protocol will need some time and some patience while we work with it and through it and my recurring prayer is that it will work or at least work well enough to let us know we're on the right track. We've made some other adjustments to our meds to make his body as strong and rested as possible.

Most of our days are the usual routine. I worked out of the house two days this week and had my usual feelings of concern while I was away, but enjoyed when Coleman called me three times during the day to check on me. I guess he feels like we should be together too.

It's been a while since we've made some good progress and I'm banking on some good progress soon. The best progress here has been for Spence. He has made some amazing steps. He draws every day, just like he never stopped, he sculpts, he has been going to after school care a few afternoons a week just to play with his friends, he has play dates and my mom just keeps saying "he's back," even doing math. Ironically, he made it back to school for one day and that was today, the very last day of 3rd grade. He enjoyed seeing his classmates and it gave Mom a chance to get a clear picture of what we have to accomplish to have Spen successfully complete the third grade. He was working with my Mom earlier this week and he thought for a minute and told her, "Gram, I've got to get my life back in order." That statement sums up my boy in a nutshell, he has the beginning traits of an alpha male who knows what he needs and likes to have a plan. I like seeing him back in action and I like that he's back to petitioning me non stop for play dates and more clay.

Thank you for remembering us as the weeks pass. I am praying that we're making the decisions that will bring our boy back to the same health his brother is enjoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment