Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Happy Birthday Spen and Dad!

Today is a special day for us.  Spen turned 10 and my Dad turned 77.  I remember being out at my dad's birthday lunch having the kind of contractions that make you look cross-eyed at your mother across the table until she drives you (reluctantly for me) to the hospital.

I have the sweetest Dad (and Mom) on earth, truly - he's the quiet type, unless you know him, and I missed so much being with him this year.  It's been months since he's seen Coleman, yet without fail he chokes up slightly at the end of each conversation and says,  "Tell Coleman I said hi."  I have always admired his patience and wish that apple had fallen a bit closer for me.  He just never complains and I admire the way he handles himself so much - his cup is forever half full and he's the most loyal man you'll meet - true and constant in every situation.  Even now in everyday situations I hear his words ringing in my ears, "If you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself."  Happy Birthday Daddy - I sure do miss you and I'm doing more things myself than I had planned.

And my sweet Spen, I would be torn apart inside about not being with you as you turned 10 if that airplane with angel wings wasn't bringing your sweet self and you Dad here tomorrow!  

Coleman and I have planned things to celebrate Spen's birthday.  We'll hit the zoo, a Supertarget, Gamestop and of course order in.  Coleman wants Spen to come to the clinic and see what goes on there.  In so many ways Spen is the big brother now and he rises to the occasion nicely.  I watched him wait on and be his brother's only friend for so many months.  I know that Spen has strong character traits and one of them is compassion.  He's a wild one, make no mistake, but he loves deeply.

We are rolling along here.  Coleman and I feel like zombies a lot of the time from the early AM roll call.  He is settling in to taking a nap during his AM treatment and it helps.  He and I have a good time planning our simple days and nights together.  They don't come much sweeter.  The doc says that these kids with good hearts,  just tend to get well.

To date, the thing that makes me feel the best is that so far we know that everything Coleman has is treatable and I'm so glad we're treating him here.

3 comments:

  1. Mel,
    Your journal entries always make me smile as my heart aches for you, Coleman, Jeff, and Spencer. So many of us at Stony Point
    are reading each one of your lyrical, poignant
    entries and praying fervently for your son!
    In His Love,
    Gayle Park

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melllllllis!!!!
    I'm so thankful for your blog updates. I feel closer to you through them.

    Happy Birthday to Mr. Coleman and Spencer! I hope you guys had wonderful birthdays and Mel, I am so happy your family is together for a few days. What a comfort that is to you and Coleman. I know when Jim is home, all is "okay"...because he's there. And when he's at work or traveling, it's time to assume position and take charge.

    I think of you guys and pray for you all the time. I really do. So happy you're there because you're at peace that Coleman is where he needs to be for treatment. It's been a long road for you too and I admire YOU for all you've had to do yourself to get things done right! :)

    Much love to you all and may you enjoy your family time together.

    Terrance

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so hope your time with Jeff and Spen was wonderful and that all the things you planned for Spencer's birthday were just the best for all of you!!

    I love what you wrote about your awesome Dad on his birthday. I know he will be touched to read it.

    Loving and praying for you all,
    Anne M.

    ReplyDelete