Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A Touch of the Goodbye Blues

Having Jeff and Spen here was such a great thing for Coleman and me - it even surpassed the fact that Coleman and I got to sleep in FOUR straight mornings....ahhhh like a long drink of cool water.

Spen was still in the birthday mode. I have two favorite visual memories of him I have been replaying since they left. The first is when he burst through the apartment door like he owned the place and said, "Uh, Hello!" I didn't know I had left the door unlocked or that they could make it in the building without a key so it was so unexpected to see his smiling face. The second was looking over at him going down the big death drop on the Mamba roller coaster at Worlds of Fun. He is such a thrill seeker and his face was sheer delight. He was especially good to let me hug and kiss him...even in public. He knows how much I miss him, it's the hardest part of this journey not being with the other half of us. He visited the clinic and Supertarget with Coleman and although he would need more time to adjust to seeing his brother out and about some, he was as gracious as a 10-year-old jet lagged, getting over a cold, little/big brother could be. I'll save the story of his gastric perils at the TRex cafe with Lisa's family for another more appetizing time...funny in retrospect though.

Having Jeff here gave me some freedom to do the things I used to take for granted - like return something, get a haircut, go to the freezer section in the grocery store - you know, big time high maintenance stuff. It also makes me feel more complete. Girls, they don't make them like my Jeff anymore and I see that more than ever now.

More than 15 years ago I worked on car commercials for this dealership in Kansas City. I used to wonder why they came all the way to Va. to make commercials...maybe now I have at least one reason. A big thank you to Rana, David and Greg for rekindling relationships and the biggest thank you to Conklin Cars for helping us get around town. We are all grateful.

It's back to the early AM call time tomorrow so I'm going to get Coleman off to sleep. I could tell the difference in him this weekend having good rest and a break from the meds. He enjoyed himself and remains solid. He will make a great leader one day. I would follow him anywhere...and I guess I have...sort of.

Those of us who are strong and able in the faith need to step in and lend a hand to those who falter, and not just do what is most convenient for us.
Strength is for service, not status.

Thanks to the strong who have lent a hand to us.

6 comments:

  1. Worlds of Fun? I'm so envious. I have heard countless stories of WoF! So glad things are going in the right direction. Will e-mail soon. Love to all, JR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel:
    I'm so proud of you and the way you are handling all this. You know I think of you in a very special way going back many years to those good ole days at RCS...almost like you were one of my own. You have "done us proud" as John would say. Listening to Dr David Jeremiah's message the other day, he asked if you could think of someone that always seemed to have "joy" no matter what circumstances they were going through or had been through and asked if perhaps only one or two faces came to mind. I thought about your Mom and Dad. Your Mom's face came to mind first and then your Dad's. For numerous years you would never have known all the heartbreaks and disasters that have touched their lives because of the "joy" that is always present in their faces. Such true Christians. I also love the tribute you gave your Aunt the other week. My hat has been off for years to Bernice. No wonder you have learned so well how to handle things in your life. We have been praying almost without ceasing for you and Coleman and the rest of your family for all have been touched by this. We will continue to do so. I daily log on to see what you have to say. You do a wonderful job sharing your days there and John and I say to each other quite often, that just sounds like her....how does she keep her humor...she is soooooo funny in her descriptions!!! And you do bring tears to our eyes, too. Our hearts break for you.
    Please email me your address. I want to mail you something. (barkerj21@aol.com) Thanks for keeping us updated and we love you.
    Mary and John Barker

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mel and Jeff,

    You have been in my prayers a lot lately. I continue to hold Coleman up and long to see him in full health soon. May our Lord be merciful.

    We love you all,

    Keith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melanie,

    We have been following your blog for sometime. My son went to school with Coleman at RCS. Please know that our family is praying for you, Coleman and the rest of your family. I often read your updates with tears in my eyes. Knowing that our boys are the same age I can't even begin to understand everything you guys have been going through. If you don't mind please send me your address. Also, I wanted you to know that there are several kids at RCS that ask frequently how Coleman is doing.
    Take care and thanks for all of your updates.
    Blessings to you,
    K. Cope
    copesx4@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. MEL, i need an update on coleman or i'll have to come do a home visit!!
    NS
    ps ... please

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mel

    I am thinking and praying for you guys every day! I have said it over and over but you have such a special gift ... to face what your familiy and coleman have gone through and still have such strong faith takes a very special person!

    Good ol' Conklin Cars! Remember Mr. Conklin ... he was such a big guy and his wife was so fragile! That's good stuff! What an awesome thing!

    In my thoughts,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete