Sunday, January 3, 2010

2010


The last month and a half have been a blur of ups and downs. Coleman has battled a bad case of the flu and is finally coming out of it. In Lyme patients the flu leaves a lot of fall out and we're dealing with the set backs.

Despite this, we had a great Thanksgiving - all of our extended clinic family rented the clubhouse at the apartments and had dinner together - it was great to be together outside of the clinic and have time to talk more meaningfully to people. It goes to show that we really are family.

My niece Erin spent a month with us helping out between Thanksgiving and Christmas - in short she was a Godsend and made the holiday more special. Our 4' tree is still lit and she was good to bring her craftiness to our little Christmas and had Coleman wrapping presents and making cards. She learned the city well and left us a bit sad on Christmas Eve Eve. Spen spent his whole two week break with us and Jeff came in for Christmas as well.

Coleman had one wish, besides some Lego requests, and that was for a white Christmas. It rained all day on Christmas Eve, but after nightfall, I looked out the window to a blizzard. Both the boys were so excited. Coleman insisted that we roll him out in it. Like many others in treatment, he is always unbearably hot, so he lives for the cold of the snow. It snowed all Christmas day making his wish come true. I'm crazy enough to believe that God grants these small tangible things along the way to remind us He still hangs out in our neighborhood.




The doc has changed his protocol a bit coming at the bugs from a different angle so we're managing that as well. Spen was the last to go home yesterday. Coleman and I took him to the airport for his solo flight home. It's tough for me to say goodbye and Spen sincerely asks me not to cry, so I bite my lip, pinch my side, borrow my girlfriend's trick of digging my nails into the palm of my hand and manage to choke back the tears, until Coleman cries, then all bets are off. As much as this coming together and breaking apart hurts, it is absolutely rewarding for me to watch the bond between these boys deepen. I imagine them being this close when they're older...a girl can hope.

So tomorrow we're back in the saddle with treatments and the holidays are officially over. In many ways I am claiming 2010 as a better year for Coleman and our family. I hope for a great year for you all as well.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Mel and Coleman, So good to hear from you again!!! I'm sure that it's hard to keep up with the blog with everything that you have to do. Just wanted to let you know that I'm praying for you guys. I keep knocking my self in the head with the truth that God is in control,all the time,in everything!!! I'm not very good at keeping in touch but wanted you to know that you're not forgotten. Janet Murphy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel, I am so glad to read this update! What a wonderful blessing to have your niece there for so long and then on top of that a white Christmas to enjoy with Coleman and your family!! Continuing to pray for Coleman's complete healing and that 2010 will definitely be a better, healthier year for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mel, So good to hear from you! Having your family all together for Christmas was a tremendous blessing I know. Thanks for sharing how God is continuing to "hang out in your neighborhood." He is faithful, and we are praying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found your blog doing searching - my younger son Duncan has been dealing with the results of mold illness and Lyme disease (et. al.) for several years now. He is 13 and has become extremely chemically sensitive as a result. Wish you and your boys the best - you are a hero.

    Deborah Savage

    ReplyDelete