Friday, October 2, 2009

45 Days In

I was just sitting here counting the days on meds and tomorrow makes 45. I am thankful for the very subtle signs of progress. We've also had those same 45 days to settle in a bit better and our routine and surroundings are starting to feel comfortably familiar, maybe even like home.

It's best for Coleman that they do. Each week we have found at least one new thing we can do, watch or store he can go in, which lifts his spirits. He's interacting with his co-patients here, remembering their names and even working puzzles with some of them. These are things which mark progress to me.

We see the doc again next week and should have updates on his clearing progress. Right now, it's a quiet morning here at the clinic and one of those good mornings when he is able to fall asleep and take a much needed nap. The room is dim, I'm working away at the card table and every now and then I glance over at him curled up in his chair, hugging his pillow, lost in sleep and I think about what a special, unique, rare young man he is and how I feel small in comparison to him and how grateful I am that we have made it this far!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update, Mel. It's so good to hear of progress. This kind of illness is so difficult and time consuming to treat, and I'm constantly blessed to see how committed and lovingly sacrificial you and Jeff have been in making sure your kids are appropriately cared for! You are amazing parents! Love, Keallie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel,
    I am Tricia Duffy's mother. She, David, and I have spoken many times about your plight with your son, Coleman. I need to tell you how brave you and your whole family have been through all of this. I think of you all often and pray that the progress continues and speeds along. Miracles happen every day, and you are deserving of one. Keep smiling - it scares the bad vibes away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melanie,
    I have not seen you since we both were about age 16. I came across this blog from Joy Simon Sneed telling me about it and I have read every word you have typed since the beginning of this journey. I wrote you a letter but it is too long to post. Please forward me your email address. I would love to send it to you.
    You and your family are in my prayers.
    Beth (Unger) Williamson
    realtorbethwilliamson@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying and thinking about you guys. We miss you. The Laramores

    ReplyDelete